Re: Re: I need advise on my future in tuba!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Simmons on June 08, 2000 at 21:56:33:

In Reply to: Re: I need advise on my future in tuba!!!!!! posted by Steve Dedman on June 07, 2000 at 13:20:13:

Kevin,

You may also find that you may end up in a totally unrelated field as a primary occupation. Even though in my college years I wanted to play professionally full time, another profession tugged at my heart - and won me over for a primary career choice. That profession was law enforcement. However, I have managed to play with a part-time brass quintet here in Richmond, Va for several years in my spare time. I realize my choices may be viewed as a "cop out" by some (no pun intended) on this forum, but you must be true to yourself. Having a full-time paying career in the music industry is not for everyone. I will be eligible for retirement in eight years and hope to expand my playing opportunities accordingly. By the way, my degree was in tuba performance at Virginia Commonwealth University here in Richmond and I studied with Robert Daniel, who retired as tuba section leader of the US Air Force Band just a few years ago. Sorry for the long post, but your question really got me going. Best of luck to you whatever your choices in life.

Follow Ups: