Re: how long will band music survive?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland J on June 22, 2000 at 22:27:22:

In Reply to: how long will band music survive? posted by tubagoo on June 21, 2000 at 21:46:30:

Yes, I'm back for a little while...

This spring, I got the opportunity to cover the 2nd tuba part in Symphony Fantastique in a nearby town's orchestra, and the first half of the program was a flute concerto that stretched the ears of the players quite a bit (it was "The Pied Piper", composer forgotten by me). Before the performance, all the major themes & ideas were demonstrated, and by the end, the decidedly unconventional music (any more so and it would have been notated by using flow charts) received a great response from the audience.

At the same time, I've talked with audience members after performances, and while tastes are never consistent, I'm always surprised by how many times they like the pieces that the ensemble had deemed "cornball" after sightreading them two months earlier.

PAY ATTENTION to the audience. To paraphrase -- if a group is playing in a forest, and there's no one there to hear, do they make a sound? Who cares....

Leland

Follow Ups: