Re: Re: Re: BBb versus CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 27, 2000 at 10:40:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: BBb versus CC posted by Klaus on June 26, 2000 at 18:13:44:

Sez Klaus: "Not believing in my situation being unique, I do feel that real good BBb tubas still would find a high turnover rate among the bulk of dedicated amateur players, that
not have reached a too high status of seniority yet."

And who have jobs allowing them to spend more money on a hobby than some pros can spend on the tools of their trade.

Perhaps those willing to spend that sort of money often are frustrated pro-wannabes and play CC anyway. Demand and supply only work when the two are well connected. I wonder how easy it is for the average tuba player with lots of money to spend on a pro-quality BBb to get information about the best brands.

For example, how many amateurs get to go to the sorts of shows that allow them to play, say, a Willson BBb (just to name one that is really expensive and of high repute)? I got into the music-educator shows in Texas (where I bought two instruments) only by impersonating a band-director friend. Are the Army Tuba Conference and ITEC the only two shows open to the public? The makers don't seem to market to amateurs. Instead, they market to pros (with C instruments) or to educational programs (with BBb instruments).

I do know that Hasselblad, as a maker of fine and incredibly expensive cameras, would die quickly without the "prosumer" market.

Rick "The Internet might turn this around eventually" Denney

Follow Ups: