Re: Re: BBb versus CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 26, 2000 at 18:13:44:

In Reply to: Re: BBb versus CC posted by Lee Stofer, Jr. on June 26, 2000 at 04:46:15:

The player will allways be the important factor. Period!

My sole inclination to cite the classified was the speficic mentioning of the BBb as the instrument wanted to fill in on the contrabass function.

In fact some of the best Eb playing, I have been presented to, has been brought to me by German television.

To take up the thread of the CC versus BBb against my intention, then I do think this problem is an offspring of the market mechanisms of the liberal western societies.

The CC is not a better instrument per se. But at least one tuba deity settled for the CC. Hence the tuba makers with intentions to enter the upper part of the market copied, modified, or remodelled the CC with a degree of refinement, that fitted the demands of the "copycat" players/students (no insult intended) striving for the top spots in the best orchestras.

Being the sad player with the BBb tonality engraved deeply in my tiny traces of musicality, I have ended in a market niche, that is not prestigeous to service by the top makers. At least not so much that a 5th valve is easily found.

Not believing in my situation being unique, I do feel that real good BBb tubas still would find a high turnover rate among the bulk of dedicated amateur players, that not have reached a too high status of seniority yet.

Klaus

Follow Ups: