Re: Re: Big Cerveny at Taylor's Music...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on June 21, 2001 at 18:15:23:

In Reply to: Re: Big Cerveny at Taylor's Music... posted by Lew on June 21, 2001 at 18:00:59:

Lew, with the exception of one foray into playing for a local university production in the mid-80's and two concerts with a faculty-brass quintet around 81 or 82, the last extended playing I'd done was in the Navy in about 1970. Had some community band involvement when I got out of the Navy for a few months, but then off I went to another state and, with the exception of a fun time playing with the Univ. of Texas summer band one summer while in law school in '73, that's been it.
I have really missed playing in bands and what orchestral stuff I did along the way. I have some MIDI gear and Cubase and Sibelius (two programs that I use doing MIDI and what scoring I have time to do), but it's just not the same.
So, I am really pushing hard to take the plunge, especially with this latest development of my son potentially taking up tuba this fall. He won't be around much longer, since kids tend to grow and be gone very fast, and I'd love an opportunity to be playing some music with him.
You're not alone in expressing some concern about whether he could handle a horn as large as the 601. A couple of other guys said the same thing, and I think you guys are all probably correct.
The band director who's interested in converting him suggested that a 4 valve is probably better to get for a practice at home horn, 4/4/ size (which lets the popular 3/4 Weril out of the equation), rather than a 3 valve, so that he'll have the benefit of learning the alternate fingers that a 4 valve horn brings to bear, as well as the better intonation for some notes than I was ever able to get out of the 3 valve horns I've played occasionally along the way.
I've been looking at the used horns, and boy is there an "overchoice" problem for me! I never even knew about all these different tubas when I was playing, but then there was no Internet. My tuba prof one day handed me a Hirshbrunner sales brochure, which even back in the mid-60's was a very expensive and wonderful horn. However, I knew very little about the rest of the crop that's out there.
I have a lot to learn, and thanks to all of you patient folks who share your knowledge and experience with would-be retreads like myself.
I also have a lot to look forward to, once I get past the bumblebee lips that I know I will get very quickly for the first few times!
Thanks!
Graham

Follow Ups: