Re: How you got your first tuba (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on June 22, 2001 at 20:31:30:

In Reply to: How you got your first tuba (long) posted by IG on June 19, 2001 at 01:08:59:

Way back in the stone age, when I was in high school, I learned to play on a Conn Sousaphone. My Junior/Senior summer I was an exchange student to Berlin, Germany. Two years later, I went back to visit and my foster brother (a trumpet player, but I forgive him) took me to a music store in East Berlin. I bought a used BBb 4rv tuba from Markneukirchen for DM80, about $25 at the time (1961). No case, so I just hauled it on the plane home, and they let me get away with it. In 1962, I had it refurbed somewhere in Baltimore that my former HS music director knew about. As I recall, that was $500. Played that horn in college and the 63rd Army Band until 1971, then put it away. Got it out again in 1987 and had it cleaned and the valves worked over at Osmun Brass. $800, I think. Then played it in the town band for five or six years and my son took lessons on it during grade school. It's worn out now and I'm playing a great Mirafone Eb. My second horn in 40 years!

John 'play it til the lacquer wears off' Breyer

Follow Ups: