How you got your first tuba (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by IG on June 19, 2001 at 01:08:59:

I was reading the stories below of how some tubist have financed their tubas. I thought it might be kinda fun to see how some you
managed to buy your first tuba. here goes.

My first tuba a Canadian brass CB-50 i stiil own and I still like it, but to get this tuba her is what I had to do.
I didn't work during the school year, but a great deal came up on one of these horns. My parents were the recipiants of a large
amount of money from my grandparents estate, so i asked them for a loan for the summer. I promised I would pay them back
at the end of summer and there was no way I was going to let them down.

I thought I had found a great way to earn the money I needed. I went to Alaska to work in the fish industry, everything went smooth
until I realized with little raises here and there in the summer, and working on average 90 plus hours a week, I just wouldn't be able
to earn the money I needed, and live in the dorm type living arragments I had been paying for, sooo the next big step
I knew this "friend " (of the female persuassion) and some how I managed to talk her parents into the idea of me building a
tree house for their younger kids to have as a play house, if I could live in for the summer. i still don't know what I was thinking

I built a tree house out of scrap wood, and pallets. While working crazy hours in a cannery. I would work
during the day at the cannery from 7:00 am- Midnight, then I would go to her house and work on a tree house til 3:00 am or so
then I slept under their house in what use to be a small storage area the built for kids toys and stuff. I also slept during parts of my hour lunch
and dinner break from working in the cannery

long story short I paid my parents back at the end of the summer, and the next summer I married the girl.
I got a tuba, a wife, and a bunch of inlaws that think I'm an okay guy even if I play the tuba.

Follow Ups: