Re: Re: Re: Sharp vs. Flat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 23, 2001 at 11:55:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Sharp vs. Flat posted by Tubist on June 23, 2001 at 10:50:17:

Based on what you just posted, I would offer the following suggestion:

If you can play 1-3 combinations in tune with the slides in a neutral position, you might be able to play 1-2-3 combinations in tune. Since almost all tubas are very out of tune in this combination, you may not have even tried it on this horn. I would suggest you do. If the 1-2-3 combination yields in tune C# and F#, you can then push the 4th slide back in a bit and perhaps fix the 2-3-4 low E. I've had experience with tubas (one I currently own) where the 1-3 combination was well in tune, despite the mathematics of the tubes. That same horn yields very workable intonation on 1-2-3 as well, especially since I can manipulate my main slide and push out just a tad. You could easily set the slides up to use 1-2-3 instead of 2-4 and then grab the 1st slide for adjusting 1-2-3. Then you could set the 4th slide specifically for the low E. Remember, this is only on some instruments. Most of my tubas have an almost completely unusable 1-2-3. If you could isolate the 4th valve notes in the Respighi excerpt, at least you might be able to find a slide position you could preset before you play the excerpt that would yield good intonation for just that specific set of notes.

Good luck!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: