Re: Re: Re: Let's have some Fun!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 24, 2001 at 11:05:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Let's have some Fun!! posted by Erik on June 24, 2001 at 10:38:11:

I am not too sure, that I will endorse your wording. Yet you are touching problems affecting all of those low brass players, that never made it into orchestras. Most likely the majority of us.

I have done time in a local wind band, which has its most outstanding feature exactly in being smalltownish local. The conductor did a lot of arranging in a style, which met sociable standards, insofar that everyone had a go all the time (tubas maybe excepted).

I also did some arrangements of lighter classical works. Based of course on reliable editions of the original scores. After all I have done enough of musicological studies to be able to evaluate the validity of my sources.

My attempts to reflect the original variations in the density of the texture led my arrangements to be partially very open. In consequence leading to more rests in diverse parts than the band was used to.

The conductor wanted to discuss this with me. He countered my argument, that I had reflected the composers’ original intentions as expressed in their scores, by saying: Do not use the scores! Go for the piano reductions!

What really sickened me was the fact that this conductor is a respected scientist/teacher in another matter, where scientific standards are kept quite high: chemistry.

Klaus

Follow Ups: