Re: Re: Re: ITEC / CONN 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on June 02, 2002 at 21:08:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: ITEC / CONN 56J posted by Eric on June 02, 2002 at 18:21:02:

I suspect that it was the horn, and not the finish. When I bought my King 2341 I tried 6 of them, 1 lacquer, 3 bright silver, and 2 satin silver. I ended up with a satin silver because it played the best for me.

I believe that Dillon's trial period is 7 days. I know that Baltimore brass also has a trial period, but I'm sure how long. In either case you would pay shipping both ways if you returned a horn. You could ask either of them to play test the horn for you and pick the one that they think is best. Of course that may not be the best for you, but they could tell if a horn is a dog.

The used ones that people have listed on this board are also an option, but of course in that case you don't get a trial period. It would save you some money though.

As for gig bags, I have an Altieri for my King 2341, and a Tuxedo bag that I have used for years for other tubas of mine. I haven't had the Altieri as long, but it appears to be better made than the Tuxedo. The draw string takes some getting used to, but I think in the long run it is safer. You just need to avoid the temptation not to use the padded bell "cap" with the Altieri. It is a bit of a pain, but without it there is just too little protection for the bell.

Follow Ups: