Re: Re: Re: Good 3/4 F Tuba for Solos?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on June 07, 2002 at 12:13:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Good 3/4 F Tuba for Solos? posted by Hank on June 05, 2002 at 09:49:38:

People keep mentioning the lack of character in the Yammy. When I first heard one, and played one, I agreed (and remember how strange it was that a CC sounded like a low note!) Then I heard the horn played from a distance, while the musician was working on...Something, and I was just amazed. I stood outside the studio to listen to that sound before interupting to take my lesson :)
BTW, a PT65 is what he uses on the horn and he can produce volumes that will make your ears explode, yet still have that full, lively ring for the few seconds that follows. I haven't heard the university quintet yet, so I don't know how well it works there (reason he uses the horn), but I have heard it in the TSO and sounds great for supporting the trombones (you know they need the help).
Just an aspect that I'm not too sure people consider when addressing the sound. But then again it could be the player more than the horn.

Steve C

Follow Ups: