Re: Re: Re: Vintage vs. modern / thin vs. thick

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Volker on June 14, 2002 at 13:52:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Vintage vs. modern / thin vs. thick posted by Rick Denney on June 14, 2002 at 12:33:43:

Hi Rick,

This topic seems to be really controversal: In regard to brass thickness, I read an expert's statement saying, that a thick brass is increasing the projection, whereas
the Thein Brothers (Bremen) in their noble catalogue stress the fact, that their CC tuba
(maybe the most expensive one on the market ) is made of extremely thin brass - which is providing a super projection. They created this special tuba in collaboration with a Dutch tuba professor and "Radio Symphonie" profi.
Also, American horns of the era before WWII seem to be quite "heavy metal", and whenever an excellent rep of these species is offered on auction, the owner is stressing the phrase "they don't make horns like this anymore" (I guess, it's meant in a positive way), and especially the old heavy Conns are reputated for their good projection. So, ... it's really confusing, and I wonder, when the first tuba professor will write his Doctor's Thesis about this subject. Maybe a sound and projection comparison between horns of similar design (but vintage vs. modern) like the Conns 38K and 20K can help to find at least part of the truth!???
Volker - with kind regards!

Follow Ups: