Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Norberg on June 17, 2002 at 09:11:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ??? posted by Frederick J. Young on June 17, 2002 at 08:19:33:

As far as bass tubas go, correct me if I'm wrong, only Hirsbrunner and Besson make a 4 front valve compensating system. I haven't heard anything about the Hirsbrunner, but the biggest complaint I've heard about the Besson 983 is, ironically, that it has bad intonation.

You keep talking about the fact that compensating horns are mathematically more correct in the length of the tubing in the lower register, and you assume that because of that compensating horns must be better in tune. With all due respect, if the intonation of tubas worked like it does on paper then intonation wouldn't be an issue. I've seen Jay Bertolet tell you several times that your theory doesn't work in practice, yet you keep sticking to the theory and never, ever, ever give him an intelligent response. So until you take Jay up on his offer and you compare the intonation of your compensating tuba to his Willson Eb, I for one will continue to believe that your theory works only in theory.

Scott

Follow Ups: