types of teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on June 18, 2002 at 10:09:56:

I've run into two general types of teachers of the physical skills of playing tuba and horn. I'm not talking about teaching musicality, but the technique needed to achieve the musicality in your playing.

The first type has an orientation towards proper use of air, and discovering your concept of the sound you want. Then you are encouraged to strive for that sound. Not a whole lot else is said. Exercises may be given, but the specifics of how to do them are not.

The second type gets down to details, showing/telling what must occur to play the instrument. For example, this kind of teacher will pull the horn off his/her face and show you what his/her embouchure is doing, and if there is a problem with your sound, will give specific suggestions as to what to do physically to correct it. Air is mentioned as needed. This type may also give exercises, but included are specifics of what is supposed to happen physically.

In the lessons I have taken from many different teachers, the teachers fall pretty specifically into one of these two categories. Which kind of teacher works best for you?

Follow Ups: