Re: Is the Tuba a 'good' instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by M.M. Carrasco on June 16, 2003 at 11:45:28:

In Reply to: Is the Tuba a 'good' instrument? posted by Becoming Frustrated on June 15, 2003 at 18:44:18:

Between 6th and 7th grade my family moved from Maryland to Richardson, Texas and in those blessed days the Jr. HS had two full time band directors, an orchestra, a symphonic band, a concert band and then ensemble classes for kids that couldn't make it into the large ensembles - it was quite a plant!
I auditioned for the concert band on cornet and horn unsuccessfully but Mr. Costellano said that he really needed a tuba player in the concert band so, of course, I took up the tuba! I practiced like mad and one day near the end of the school year, Jeffery Jarvis who was "THE tuba man" of the symphonic band heard me playing. He told his conductor, Bobby Wren, about me and he came to hear me. So the final concert of the year, I got to perform with the concert band AND the symphonic band - a real big deal for me! I was never treated the same in that band hall. Unfortunately we moved back to Maryland the next year but Richardson Jr HS and the Falcon Band got me on that Tuba track!

Moises

Follow Ups: