Is the Tuba a 'good' instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Becoming Frustrated on June 15, 2003 at 18:44:18:

RANT ALERT...

Can any successful teachers pass comment on how they go about 'selling' the Tuba as a viable instrument choice to pupils?

I am a decent player and show great enthusiasm in my playing but kids simply don't (want to?) 'stick at' playing. They either quit altogether or switch to a 'better' instrument (take your pick). I don't expect all kids to want to play Tuba or to become the next Arnold Jacobs but I'm sure having difficulty winning battles against Playstation/Hormones/Sports/TV/Plus just about any other instruments (particularly 'Pop' variants).

I frequently have to rely on slightly eccentric kids to haul Tubas around, play grunts on the beat or long-notes whilst most kids play 'the tune', and generally be the butt-end of the musical establishment.

What hooked me of course was the sound but that goes over near-all kids heads...

Tubas have their place in many groups and I love them dearly but are they as 'good' an instrument (to kids or Adults) as a French Horn or Cello or Guitar etc etc? I guess it would be worth hearing opinions from Low-String teachers who have a similar battle getting kids to play Bass...

Can anyone improve my mood please?

Follow Ups: