Re: Is the Tuba a 'good' instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brent Herhold on June 16, 2003 at 16:51:18:

In Reply to: Is the Tuba a 'good' instrument? posted by Becoming Frustrated on June 15, 2003 at 18:44:18:

Is Tuba a “good” instrument? No! It’s a GREAT instrument! Think about all the joy it has given you, as a performer, and just pass on that passion. My daughter, who teaches fourth grade, invited me to come to her class and demonstrate the tuba; the school-music guys had been by to demonstrate the “fifth-grade instruments” and she thought they should have a broader experience. I started by telling them “my story,” how I was going to be a clarinet player, but was told by an older, oboe-playing brother that the band really needed a tuba player, and, seeing a road to quick advancement, I jumped at the chance and have never looked back and could never have been happier. I talked about the places the tuba had taken me, the venues at which I’ve played, and the wonderful experiences I’ve had as a result of choosing the instrument.

I then demonstrated the instrument; I explained the importance of the bass part, both harmonically and rhythmically. I talked about typical tuba parts and explained that while you are not usually playing melody, as either are many of the inner-voice instruments, there is nothing stopping the tubist from playing beautiful melodies and proceeded to demonstrate my point. I described and demonstrated playing the bass line in a pop vain by playing the melody of the tune “Indiana” and then playing a corresponding four-beat bass line over the changes. I finished with Q&A and, of course, got the “How high can you play?” “How low can you play?” But I was also asked “When can someone start playing the tuba?” As a result of this demonstration (which was not intended to sell anything,) two boys have subsequently signed up to take trombone in fifth grade, with the intention of switching to tuba when they get to 6th. Grade (Jr. High.)

I also think is important to remember the NPR interview with Sheridan and Pilafian when they discuss the importance of not having a dullard playing tuba; the last thing you need is a tubist that can’t stay “on top” of the part or the beat. Look for prospects who are sharp and think for themselves.

Lastly, don’t forget the potential of female players. You always have more flute players than you need, plus they are usually smart and already know what it’s like to be moving a lot of air. I play with a local Jr. College band and have worked with two female tubists in the last few quarters, both strong players and also lovely young women.

By rights, you should never have to beg anyone to play the tuba.

Brent Herhold

Follow Ups: