Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it me?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 20, 2003 at 15:01:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Is it me? posted by Rick Denney on June 20, 2003 at 14:19:43:

Just to throw this in the mix....
I personally believe that horns with bells like the Besson Fletcher whould have used (I don't know if this was when he had the 19" bell or not) records dynamics much better than the more "German" style bell of the Alex F that (I believe) Mr. Lind used. The Besson Eb's have a very "American" style taper which seems to tape a little better. However, it would be very interesting to have actually heard the recording of both pieces. That would be the real truth. I agree that tapes don't lie, but they don't always tell the whole truth either.

IMO, horns like the "york-o-phones" are very popular because they tend to put dynamics across better than others. The Besson Eb's with the 19" bell look a lot like those old York Eb's in the bell and bottom bow area. That's my opinion though.

FWIW, I think Mr. Lind's recording was aimed much more at being a commercial recording than Mr. Fletcher's. We all know what audio engineers can do at a whim to make the recording more "appealing" in their opinion. Too bad most of those audio engineers have lost a little bit of hearing in the tuba range due to a LOT of headphone and dB exposure.

Matt G

Follow Ups: