Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it me?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 20, 2003 at 17:35:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it me? posted by Matt G on June 20, 2003 at 15:01:11:

And there is even the possibility that someone in the editing stage did a bit of gain-riding. It wouldn't be the first time. All Mr. Lind's dynamic control would have been negated by a few injudicious moves of the level sliders. The mix philosophy of the Lind recording seemed to me more like most commercial concerto recordings, where they make doggone sure the solo instrument is LOUD. I've never liked that approach. I like to hear the orchestra playing quietly on purpose to get under the soloist, and the soloist having to project on purpose to be heard and still have dynamic expression. The Fletcher recording does that to a much greater extent, and that may be part of why I prefer it.

Also interesting is how it's marketed. The Lind recording is part of a CD full of Lind's solo work, while the Fletcher recording is included with the lovely 5th Symphony and the Five Elizabethan Portraits and is part of Previn's complete Vaughan Williams symphony cycle that he did back in the 60's (early 70's?). On the Lind CD, it's the culmination, while it's filler on the Fletcher CD. There would have been more focus on the soloist in Lind's case. But that may be too much second-guessing.

Having the two recordings is wonderful, though. They express not only the difference (as I imagine it) between a British and a European interpretation, but also a difference between an Besson-style bass tuba and a German rotary bass tuba. Those who doubt that difference should listen to these two recordings. Each performer makes a strong case for their choices, it seems to me, and presents their concept with complete confidence.

Rick "who has heard too many survival-mode RVW Concerto performances" Denney

Follow Ups: