Re: Miraphone census

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip on June 23, 2003 at 10:43:49:

In Reply to: Miraphone census posted by SHS Tubamaster on June 22, 2003 at 16:57:33:

I bought my Mira 186 new in 1979.

Model 186 CC, 5vu, lacquer.

Since then, I have had the leadpipe replaced with a 188 leadpipe (slightly larger), welded Gold coins to the 1 - 4 spatulas (looks great, gives a better "feel"), and glued Monster Weights to the back of the 1 - 4 valve caps.

Eventually, I want to convert the neoprene balls/sockets to mini-ball (If I can ever get up the courage to do it myself.) I have been holding off mainly because I like the looks of the current (original) rods and don't want to put "plain" rods on with the conversion.

As to mouthpiece, on the recommendation of Dan Perantoni, I use the PT-88 Mega mouthpiece with the rim and inside cup gold-plated Really opened up the bottom end and hasn't hurt my upper range.

I also use a modified Stewart stand (while sitting to take the weight off of my legs and provide a consistent height for the mouthpiece resulting in good posture), along with a waist belt flag-pole carrier for stand-up gigs (very unobstrusive, and the peg without the rubber foot fits perfectly in the flag cup).

Philip Moore

Follow Ups: