Re: Re: Rudy Meinl F tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Intonation? on June 30, 2003 at 09:27:51:

In Reply to: Re: Rudy Meinl F tuba posted by Lee Stofer on June 30, 2003 at 01:59:09:

I have a friend who is selling a 41 cm version of the Rudy F. It's a GREAT sounding horn, and aside from one blaring intonation tendency -- the 3rd partial is abt 30 cents sharp -- it's probably one of the best overall F's I've ever played. I don't know the age of the horn, but judging from the mechanical ball/socket linkage and configuration of the 5th vlv on the left side, I'd guess that it's at least 10 yrs old (?). It's hard to tell, because the horn's in such great shape. Anyway, here's the question: do you have any suggestions for making that 3rd partial more tolerable? I've (and he's) tried a plethera of mouthpieces, he's had the valve alignment checked, and at a certain prestigious professor/tuba consultant from Indiana's advice, he's even considered changing out the bottom bow to one w/a different (smaller?) taper. However, for monetary reasons, he decided against having the horn rebuilt. Suggestions? Also, is this typical of "older" Rudy F's? I don't know the Mirafone 181 very well, esp the "new and improved" version, but all the ones that I've ever played have the same problem as the above-mentioned Rudy, but they don't sound as "sweet."

Follow Ups: