Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: isn't this is a good thing? Re: VPO

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on July 01, 2003 at 13:08:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: isn't this is a good thing? Re: VPO posted by Rick Denney on July 01, 2003 at 12:40:19:

Are there any non-Viennese in the VPO besides the new tubist? It wasn't too long ago that they hired their first female musician (harp) but I do not know the cultural history of the musicians in the group.

From their web site:

"According to currently valid Philharmonic statutes, only a member of the Vienna State Opera Orchestra is eligible to become a member of the Vienna Philharmonic. For an aspiring musician to attain membership in the Philharmonic, he must first win an audition and serve as a member of the opera orchestra, where he must prove himself over a period of three years before making application for full membership in the association of the Vienna Philharmonic."

I think that was the reason for the curiosity. Not racism, or expected racism. Just a news story like Ichiro and Yao Ming. They were newsworthy not because MLB is racist. They were newsworthy because they are new.

Disclaimer: I do not think MLB or the VPO is racist. That is my point.

Follow Ups: