Re: 3 or 4 valve 3/4 BBb for an 11 yr. old daughter?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on March 26, 1999 at 15:52:02:

In Reply to: 3 or 4 valve 3/4 BBb for an 11 yr. old daughter? posted by Oscar on March 26, 1999 at 10:30:48:

I teach elementary school band and I just bought a King 1135. It is 3/4 size with valves around front, but it uses the valve section from the Conn 12J which is not too small, so it has a decent sound for a small horn. The Yamaha 621 is a very small horn with four valves which is a bit unusual. the valves on both these horns are around front. the small Yamaha student model is the BB105 with upright valves like your euph. I think front valves are easier for youngsters to hold, which is why I bought the King. I have an old Yamaha BB103 which is the same bell as the 105 but with three front action valves. evidently they no longer make these horns. The BB621 is considered a "professional horn" so it has has a better valve set and may cost a bit more. I do not have prices off hand. A previous message suggested Dillon Music. They get in lots of used tubas. If you live near NJ check it out. Also as was mentined before I agree that the Yamaha 621 may hold its value when you decide to step up. As for the school I'd recommend the King 1135. As for you at home check out the Yamaha 621. and plan to step up in a few years. Good Luck, it is exciting to have young tuba players I have two right now who are doing really well and it is fun to work with them. Ken k

Follow Ups: