Re: Re: mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on March 29, 1999 at 01:28:40:

In Reply to: Re: mouthpieces posted by Dillon M1C on March 27, 1999 at 13:08:17:

I tried an M1C (for maybe 20 hours or so over a week) and it didn't have the oomph that I got out of a PT50, which I bought instead. I have played on a friend's bored-out PT50, and that was even better.

But, here's an aspect to consider:
Is it best for a mpc to be an efficient amplifier, or should it take all the wind you can throw at it?

My Hirsbrunner M1 mpc (shallowish Helleberg II style) plays very readily, giving more sound with the same effort as on my PT50; in another way, the same sound for less effort. But, the PT50 can play quieter, and at the same time, can go loud as snot -- much louder that my M1 with the same tone quality. Overall, my M1 sounds brighter than my PT50. I use the M1 on solos when I need good sound on long phrases, and the PT50 in ensemble where I can afford frequent breaths and want more fundamental & less upper harmonics.

So, maybe another part of the question would be whether you're using it for solos or section playing. I can see the M1C being quite useful when playing by yourself (Pokorny's endorsement certainly makes sense to me, then).
Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: