Re: Alexanders tubas...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carl m. Jones on March 29, 1999 at 17:02:29:

In Reply to: Alexanders tubas... posted by Paul A on March 28, 1999 at 17:53:35:

Dear Paul,

Contrary to to popular belief in the US, Alexander IS still making tubas. However, they only produce them to fill their orders. I lived about 5 miles from the Alexander factory while in Germany, and had many opportunities to visit, try horns, and tour the production facility. I had contemplated purchasing an Alexander F and was told that I was welcome to try one that they were building for a german tubist. They do not produce them en masse. They build one for you. If you don't like something about the horn, they will work with you and modify it until it pleases you (ie. improving response, changing leadpipe height, fixing intonation problems, etc). This is not often done by mass producers.
Alexanders are QUITE EXPENSIVE as a general rule, but some performers swear by them. Michael Lind, for exapmle, has played his Alex F for decades and always sounds like a million bucks. If you've never heard him, check out his recordings on Four Leaf Clover Records. BEAUTIFUL!!
What kind of playing would you be using the Alex for? What kind of sound do you want? What size of sound/tone color does your conductor want? Would one of their many models work, and would it be worth the price to you?

Carl

Follow Ups: