Re: 3 or 4 valve 3/4 BBb for an 11 yr. old daughter?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis Morris on March 29, 1999 at 20:27:15:

In Reply to: 3 or 4 valve 3/4 BBb for an 11 yr. old daughter? posted by Oscar on March 26, 1999 at 10:30:48:

My $.02 . . . One possibility is a Yamaha YBB103. Although I got mine for a beater -- just had to stop abusing my good equipment at baseball games (Chicago Cubs) and such -- the horn's been a pleasant surprise.
I'm suggesting a 103 because in my expeience it's easy to get a nice sound, intonation is OK for a 3-valve instrument, and the horn is light and easy to handle. I think these are important considerations for a young player.
I don't think Yamaha makes the 103 any more but you should be able to find one. I don't know what the price range would be but I'd expect to save some dollars vs. the price of a new horn. You may also want to check out the models Yamaha brought out to replace the 103; unfortunately I have no experience with them so I can't comment on them.
All of the above is the good news. The downside is that the YBB103 is a 3-valve horn. So you'd have to decide if playability, ease of handling and cost savings would offset the lack of 4th valve.
Hope this helps. Good luck in your quest.

Follow Ups: