Re: Re: Anything anyone can tell me about the Kalison tubas.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on March 31, 1999 at 14:03:41:

In Reply to: Re: Anything anyone can tell me about the Kalison tubas. posted by Roger Lewis on March 31, 1999 at 07:55:47:

I've played three Kalisons and they were all consistent...consistantly mediocre. In my opinion, it's a horn you will outgrow fast if you are an above-average player.

You know, rather than finding out which horn is the best, I think it's wise to find a horn you think you can grow into and can play for many years to come. If one sounds cruddy on an Amati, one more than likely will not sound much different on a Hirsbrunner. Likewise, I'm sure Bud Herseth would still sound like a god on a Bundy. How many times have we heard the "house" tubists tell us that "Brand X horn has a nice, rich tone"? Well, that horn is not going to have a "nice, rich tone" unless YOU can produce a nice, rich tone.

Make sure you buy a horn that's better than you are but within your price limits. I play-tested a Kalison and felt at my ability, I would be frustrated at its limitations quite quickly. I wound up buying a MW 2155 bacause I felt the horn was, and still is better than I am, and I am still searching for my potential on it. If you feel the same way about the Kalison, go for it!

Dave

Follow Ups: