Re: 5/4 Rudolph Meinls

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee A. Stofer, Jr. on March 09, 1999 at 07:41:12:

In Reply to: 5/4 Rudolph Meinls posted by Brendan on March 06, 1999 at 15:49:13:

Scott, Brendan,
I'll try to answer a couple of questions, but first, the name is Rudolf Meinl.
The Meinls make a wide variety of tubas, nearly half of which aren't currently sold here. From the 1/2 size CC tuba to the 5/4 CC, Rudolf Meinl's philosophy is that a larger bore through the leadpipe and valves than what is normally associated with that size yields an instrument that speaks better and is better in tune. The .920" can be derived from measuring the outside of the 2nd valve slide tubing instead of the inside, hence that mistake.
I played a 5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC as my main horn for 12 years, and nothing else can really compare. If one can afford it, the 3/4 CC is the perfect companion to it, a great small ensemble horn wrapped identically, and a horn with similar playing characteristics.
I have played two of Rudy's 6/4 BBb tubas. It is truly a specialty tuba, the largest production horn on earth. How did it play? It was surprisingly easy to play. It did require a couple of minutes of adjustment, but I wanted to take it home with me! Well, maybe, one of these days. . .
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: