Re: Re: new tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jan Lybeck on March 11, 1999 at 08:34:50:

In Reply to: Re: new tubas posted by Jay Bertolet on March 11, 1999 at 00:37:16:

I have a King BBb, 4-valve, upright bell tuba which I bought new 25 years ago, and played in a community band since. I have taken every opportunity to try out other tubas, not relly high end, but standard instruments.
I have never thougt about getting another tuba, I always felt that my King was better built, responded better, played very well in tune and had a sound that i liked, especially with a Conn-Helleberg mpc.
I had to special order this tuba from the US. The company that imported other King instruments did not think it was possible to sell such an expensive instrument as a tuba here in Sweden. At the same time european tubas were exporteted to the US and considered a better choise for the serious musicians there.
We always tend to think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence (pond).
So my advice would be the same as some others keep the Kings if you can get them in order. They will serve you better than many of the newer instruments. The saying here is that the older instruments were built with more care.
(I am selling King now, but only because i could get my hands on a BBb, 5 valve Hirsbrunner)
Jan

Follow Ups: