Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: T.U.B.A. ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian on March 16, 1999 at 16:51:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: T.U.B.A. ? posted by Michael Sanders on March 15, 1999 at 20:41:26:

I think Dale has some very valid points.
Let's address them.
I also live in a place and situation wherein I cannot go to distant conferences without losing time and/or money that is needed elsewhere.I'm a poor non-music major college student,just another tuba enthusiast.I would love to go to the conferences,but they are just too far away,airfare is too expensive and my car has good chances of not surviving the trip.
Of course,TUBA benefits the established players and teachers.TUBA's purpose is to promote the tuba and euphonium,and that involves increasing the opportunities for those at the top of the field.It benefits the manufacturers that sell things at the conferences,otherwise they would not give us anything.The motivation maybe selfless at first but if TUBA hadn't benefitted someone then it would have disappeared long ago.
T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
We enjoy the tuba therefore we support the growth of our opportunities to hear good tubists in as many places as we can.
What is so bad about trying to enlarge the world of the tuba and by such support we end up putting money in someone else's pocket?It's good for the economy,keeps them (tubists) off the welfare rolls and streets.
As far as Dale's response to Richard's post,you have to look at the people that run TUBA.They are musicians;the majority do not make the type of money nor do they have the kind of jobs that allow them to commit a great deal of their time and energy to the organization.What they do is surprising since many work several jobs.After all,how many tubists can afford to work one job and make a living?
They are also tuba and euphonium players.We do not have overwhelming numbers;the high price and rarity of our instruments are prohibitive to the growth of a large number of amateurs.

You could try one of these things:
Form a local chapter with like-minded people and recruit members. Hold your own conferences and bring in the performers and manufacturers as resources allow.Get in contact with already existing local TUBA chapters and the national organization and find out what you can do to help.

Oh well,I've rambled enough,
Brian

Follow Ups: