Re: Trouble with the Morning Song

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles D. Ortega on March 17, 1999 at 01:07:19:

In Reply to: Trouble with the Morning Song posted by Roger Coleman on March 16, 1999 at 18:41:24:

One might suggest you try utilizing some different techniques in your basic warm-ups routine. BEFORE tackling The Morning Song. Of course, to be most candid, when I was in High School, I played it too. ;-)
There are a couple of techniques you might try...
First off, try playing scales. Alot of them. Start with F an octave below the F at the bottom of the staff, and work up one octave, then two, then three.
Then work up chromatically. Repeating the process on each successive half-step. This will help your muscles grow stronger in this range. The gradual process, done over a period of time will make these higher notes attainable.
Also, I would try different patterns. In 6 eighths + 1 quarter pattern, start on B-flat sitting on the staff. B-flat, C, D, E-flat, D, C, B-flat. Where the last B-flat is the quarter. Then, go up diatonically.
I should point out that both of these techniques should be used in moderation, and only as one step in your basic warm-up. Preferably, these should be used, after being thoroughly warmed up.
Now, after utilizing these techniques for some time, attempting The Morning Song, you can utilize a couple of other techniques.
Try playing the passages that are giving you trouble, down an octave. You might think you are selling out, but you aren't. This is a technique to give your muscles a memory of playing these notes. This gives your muscles a "road map" to go by, and when playing the passage where it is written, your muscles will remember and play the right notes. Also, it will give your muscles the memory of playing relaxed instead of forced. The ratio of playing down an octave to where it is written should be about 10:1.
There are variations to this. Try playing it the opposite of what is written stylistically, when you are down the octave. If it is tongued, try it slurred. Or vice versa. This will also fool your muscles into thinking you already can play the notes, and instead of worrying about getting the right notes, you will be thinking about playing the right style.
Of course, another obvious technique to try, is BUZZING. One should buzz little passages of the piece on the mouthpiece a couple of times, then play it normally. The ratio (again over time) should be about 5:1. This makes your muscles work without the "crutch" of the horn. Then, when you go back to the horn, your muscles remember, and work as hard as if the horn weren't there. The muscles only remember temporarily, and soon revert back to the normal routine, so repetition is the key here.
I hope these techniques help. And keep plugging away at it, I sometimes think that I learned a whole lot in college, but one thing that I kind of had "learned out of me" was the audacity of youth. Back in HS, I was playing the Morning Song, not well, but still playing it. Then, in college I put it away, and didn't work on it, because I had to get the basics more under my belt. However, in doing so, I simply forgot to go about the business of exploring, and trying to "reach for the B-flats."
I guess, what I am trying to say is, there should be a balance. Work your basics, do your Rochut's, and your Vasiliev's, and work the solos on your level. But, keep working on the stuff that is just out of reach, and pretty soon that will come too.
Good luck.

cdo

Follow Ups: