Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: T.U.B.A. ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on March 17, 1999 at 13:52:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: T.U.B.A. ? posted by me on March 17, 1999 at 12:52:51:

Why bond together? This question has been answered by the forming of thousands of specialty organizations all over the world. When a group of people in a similiar field get together, ideas can be exchanged. That is what a guild does.

No other instrument does this? This is a fallacy. Every other instrument does this. I know for a fact that the horn and trumpet guilds are fairly active and operate in a similiar fashion to TUBA. They have a publication, hold clinics and competitions, and bring together professionals and amatuers alike who would otherwise never take time out of their busy schedules to speak with one another. Strings do the same, as does voice and organ and pianists. Where did you get the idea that only tubists and euphoniumists exchanged ideas in an organized way?

You didn't like the Symphonia CD. That is fine. You don't have to like it, but many other people, with just as discerning tastes as yours, enjoy listening to them. There is no such thing as universally good and universally bad music. Each person must make their choices. Believe it or not, diversity is a good thing.

In your posting you seem to make a clear distinction between a tubist and a musician, as if they are necessarily two different entities. This is the type of stereotyping which TUBA has always been in opposition. I have heard my fair share of poorly prepared orchestras, violin soloists, and vocalists to state that music isn't made holy or worthless based on the medium it comes from. Music is from people. Making assumptions that a tubist cannot also be an artist is naive.

sean

Follow Ups: