Re: Questions about braces (the teeth kind)!! HELP

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Farah on March 17, 1999 at 13:55:34:

In Reply to: Questions about braces (the teeth kind)!! HELP posted by Antonio on March 16, 1999 at 20:13:16:

>Dear Tuba Comrades...
>
>My brother plays trumpet (I know your tuba players, but we are desperate), and he just >had braces put in. He is first chair trumpet in a
>quintet that will be performing in a week. His braces, when playing cause him pain, >discomfort, and prevents him from reaching his
>higher register. WE NEED YOUR HELP, and I, being tuba player, realize that tubaists are >the most knowlegable of musicians.

I am a horn player and went through this when I was in HS. The only thing I could do was practice. What happens the braces make you use different muscles in order to play. All that has to be done is train the muscles. Also, if you practice alot on it, you will build up callouses on the inside of your lip and after a while, you won't be in pain. (Much like a string player and if they lay off their instrument for a few days, the callouses go away on their fingers).

I used wax for a while and I got sick of carrying it around with me. So, I gave up on the wax and went all-natural. I hated braces but after I got them off, I IMMEDIATELY played almost 50% better and it took me about 1 week to get completely use to it.

The most trouble I had--sound wise--was that my tone was incredible airy. This takes patience. The sound gets better as does the embouchure, although this doesn't exactally matter as long as you are getting the best tone you can.

I am so glad I had braces because without them, my teeth would not only be crooked (very crooked I might add), but I would be in a little pain. I use to play out of the corner of my mouth--which did not help my range at all, and after I got the braces off, my range improved as did my sound, and accuracy.

Good luck and here's hoping they come off in 18 months.
>-What can my brother do to solve or partially solve his dilema?
>-Is there any way to get him prepped up in a week?
>-And finally, and most sadly, should he go to a lower chair for the performance?
>
>Any ideas, suggestions, or proffesional advice that you can give me is appreciated.
>-Antonio

Follow Ups: