Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr. Jacobs OTHER tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on March 04, 2000 at 00:10:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Mr. Jacobs OTHER tubas posted by Chuck Jackson on March 03, 2000 at 21:33:35:

It's a typo. His name ended with a "g", like the German city. That in all likelyhood was the tuba. That's how rotary valves were made at that time, with string linkage like french horns. I also have a picture of him with this tuba, in a book put out by the Chicago firm, Scott Radio, which manufactured high quality phonographs in the 30s and 40s. It's one of those "guides to the orchestra" and has photos of each instrument with its player. The full orch photo with Defauw conducting seems to be of an actual performance. The tuba player is definitely Jacobs, playing a tuba with a detachable bell. He told me that too was a York, what we would call a 4/4 now. He tried it out on a few concerts and got caught on camera. But the portrait was Hamburg. This is mid-40s and Crisafulli is quite the bushy haired young stud, and Schilke in the trumpet portrait - if you knew him in his mature period - here he rivals Clark Gable. The horn player is Max Pottag. Surely you've worked your way through a Pottag etude or two. When I get a scanner, I'll post some of the photos in this book.

Follow Ups: