Re: Re: perceptions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 09, 2000 at 08:57:55:

In Reply to: Re: perceptions posted by Rick Denney on March 09, 2000 at 00:46:39:

Well, I just have to disagree a little with what you posted, and not just because I recently purchased my very own BAT. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't care AT ALL what a tuba looks like. I just care how it sounds/plays. I also care if it is structurally sound, otherwise I am going to budget some extra dough for repairs.

I would never bring a sousaphone into my symphony job and it isn't because I would be embarrassed to be seen playing one. Sousaphones have a bell front and this greatly affects how the sound is heard by the conductor/audience. I myself believe that the nature of sound reflection we currently see in upright configured tubas works better for the tuba sound both in terms of projection and balance. In terms of projection, I am forced to play with a bigger sound for good projection rather than fall back on a directional quality to the sound that is so often seen in bad trumpet and trombone playing. Besides, in an ensemble I don't feel like the tuba is a solo instrument despite the fact that it is usually the only one of its type in most orchestral settings. So the watchword for me is blend, which I conceptualize in the sound as an enveloping quality. The example I use is the difference between stereo speakers set up directly in front of and facing you versus speakers set up all around and facing you. In the latter, you never really know where the sound is coming from and I believe this approach is aided by the reflection of sound afforded by an upright bell. I believe this type of sound is easier to blend into the overall sound of the ensemble and still be heard. Could I make this argument with a helicon? No, but since there is only one CC helicon that I know of (Cervany) and it only has 4 valves, the point is moot since that instrument doesn't fit the parameters of my criteria for a general usage tuba.

I've seen the comments for a while now about using an old sousaphone in place of a larger concert tuba because it seems these days that we are falling all over ourselves to recreate the great old large size tubas (and with really mixed results) at some really outrageous costs. And I'll admit that it is a fantasy with some appeal but it still comes down to trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. My opinion is that the sousaphone was not intended for the type of playing I do and for me to use it would be a mistake. When you play for a living, you learn that functionality is the only concern.

By the way, I hope you're wrong about non-symphony players buying up BAT's for their look rather than for their sound. That would be a shame for those symphony players who would like to find one. It also might offer a partial explanation as to why these tubas seem to be so much more expensive these days...

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: