Re: Re: HK Phil tuba audition open(high salary )

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 09, 2001 at 20:33:16:

In Reply to: Re: HK Phil tuba audition open(high salary ) posted by Anon. on March 09, 2001 at 10:27:42:

You're disappointed at what? That someone responded to a post with an obvious, common sense question? Being aware enough of the nature of this business to ask such a question really makes me feel like players are better educated today than in my time. When I was in school, we all jumped at ANY job opening. I can recall at least one other classmate who auditioned for and won a job opening abroad and ended up quitting shortly thereafter because the living conditions, etc., were not to be tolerated.

I know for someone on the outside looking in, it may seem ludicrous to question the basic living situation involved with any job opening. But making sure that all the necessary stuff is solid and in place means not learning to hate your profession because you're forced to work within a horrible situation, one you wouldn't have been a part of if you'd understood "the ropes" first. A bad job, even if it is doing something you love, is still a bad job. No amount of personal satisfaction is going to put a roof over your head or food on the table. I think a certain amount of business training should be required for any aspiring performers. I'm very happy to see that some of those potential employees are taking the initiative to ask the hard questions and ensure that their personal satisfaction in their careers won't be overshadowed by bad experiences on the business side of the ledger.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: