Re: Please help out this mom!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Casey on March 10, 2001 at 11:14:27:

In Reply to: Please help out this mom! posted by Tuba mom on March 09, 2001 at 00:44:53:

Hi Tubamom.
First thing is first, all of these posts seem to have great advice.

Now for my 2 cents.

1) Do not buy a tuba. A 13 year old, even if he likes playing the horn, can not possibly predict how long he will play, or how much "drive" there will be for him to practice and improve. There are many parents who buy a child a horn, only for them to find that the child got tired of playing it. $1200 is a lot of money! The best advice that I can give you, (i believe someone has already said it) is: do not buy a tuba unless you are sure he is going to play the tuba through college. No matter how sure you are in 8th grade you really have no idea what you want to do with your life. I'm a junior and 90% of the kids in my class have changed what they were sure they wanted to do at least 3 times in the past few years. Kids are fickle, and a tuba is a big investment.

2) Your son shouldn't have hard feelings about play the junker tuba. I don't own a horn. I never had to play a terrible one, but some fairly junky ones and I don't have one bad thing to say about my mom's support of me playing the tuba.

So, since $1200 is a lot of money, play it safe and dont buy a horn. I personally wouldnt choose to go to the nicer $1800 kind so you could sell it again later. That would be a lot of hassle for someone not in the tuba circles.
Support your son's musical activities (emotions and words are more important that giving him a tuba or money).

Good luck!
My 2 cents for what its worth.

Casey

Follow Ups: