Please help out this mom!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tuba mom on March 09, 2001 at 00:44:53:

Ok,here's the deal. My son is 13, and was switched from the trumpet to the tuba by his middle school music teacher. He is now playing a Bb tuba that looks like it has been hit by 2 diesel trucks and a herd of buffalo! I am not musical at all, and I don't know anything about music. I got him a tutor from the local high school band, to help him learn how to play the tuba. She says that this tuba is so bad, even when he plays the correct notes, they don't sound right. My question is: (if you are still with me) should I get him a "cheap" tuba?? Just for now?? Just until he gets into high school?? I saw one that was made in China or Japan that was only about 1200.00. My reason would be that his teacher in school gets annoyed at times with him when he does not play well. I am wondering if part, (only part)of this problem is because the school tuba *sucks*. However, in 1 1/2 years he will be in high school and then he will just use the school tuba. So, would an investment in a 1200.00 tuba be a good thing to do?? What do you think?? The school tuba has been to the shop, and it is already the best it can be. So,thanks to any of you out there for your advice. Oh, one more thing. 1200 dollars is alot to me. I first went on ebay, and thought I could just pick him up a tuba real cheap. I almost fainted when I saw the prices! OK, thanks again for any ideas you may have.

Follow Ups: