Re: universities

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on March 12, 2001 at 18:38:00:

In Reply to: universities posted by Tim on March 12, 2001 at 17:49:40:

Tim,
As a graduate from the state university in your own backyard (UCF). Here are some things I might suggest. FSU has an excellent school of music and facilities unequalled by any other in the state, in my opinion, however the school is flooded with tubists and the only band you may play in for your first year or two may be the marching chiefs and the "sit-down" band that they will make from those interested players in the spring semester. This can be frustrating, but the facilities and enviroment are there if you are motivated and keep your chops going in the right direction even if you are in just athletic bands. USF has an excellent teacher in Jay Hunsberger (sp?) if he is still there, at least I think he is last I heard. His students are very accomplished and good players, but I don't know how many are currently in the studio, and I don't know what the full playing opportunities are. UNF is basically a "jazz" school and I belive they only have a band and a strings only orchestra. I remember a good tuba player who was there about 4-5 years ago, but got most of is time in doubling on string bass. I can't speak about UM, but in the South Florida area, Jay Bertolet teaches at a school (sorry Jay I don't remember where), and that would be a place to look into. I believe it was one of his students who I sat second to at a Florida Intercollegiate band in 1998 and he was playing the snot out of a Yamaha YBB-641 (sorry Jay I don't remember his name either). The last school I'll mention is UCF, just because I went there. It has a small program, but a good player has lots of chances to play and figure out what type ouf playing he/she really enjoys. The current faculty there is Russ Ward, who was the tubist for the FSO before it folded. There have been quite a few good players come out of that school despite it's size in low brass. If you want some names email me and I'll send them to you.
Hope this helps,
Matt G

Follow Ups: