621 F first impression

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on March 15, 2001 at 15:35:45:

Well, I played the 621 last night, and I've learned why it is advisable to take a plane trip rather than pay shipping to play test a horn. I have really small hands, and it is actually painful to try to reach all four of the buttons on the 621 at once. It has nice low notes (I was off the end of the piano keyboard last night, and well up in the treble clef too.) But I can't find a comfortable playing position...on the chair is too low, in my lap is too high, and the leadpipe angle bends my neck in a funny way. ..... I could have determined all that in 30 seconds at a tuba store, and gone on to the next one. RATS. I'm going to see if there is anyone in Tucson who is looking for a 621, and then maybe I won't have to send it back. It's really nice, but it just doesn't fit me.

In comparison to the MW 6 rotary valve F I have at home, the 621 sound is distinctly brighter, and I found it a little less free blowing. It does, however, _have_ a low C. I can get a C out of the MW, but it feels and sounds funny. I didn't notice any particular intonation problems, but I didn't throw it on a tuner either. I did prefer the right hand thumb valve to the left hand rotors on the MW.

The Weril CC is due late tonight, so probably I won't report on it until Monday, but I expect the same hand size/piston reach problems with it. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, poo. OK, I'm done whining now.

Follow Ups: