Re: Re: Re: Re: Larger Helleberg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on March 22, 2001 at 20:55:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Larger Helleberg posted by Charles on March 22, 2001 at 15:16:19:

I was waiting for someone more expert on this topic than I, but. . .I believe the Canadian Brass Arnold Jacobs was a Warburton copy, made for DEG to market under the Canadian Brass name. The original was a very early Conn-Helleburg that Mr. Jacobs acquired when he was just starting out. Later Conn-Helleburgs (even in the 30s) were slightly "smaller" whether in cup depth or backbore, I couldn't say, but the AJ appears to favor the fundamental though the overtone structure is very smooth and even. Chuck Dallenbach swears by this mouthpiece for quintet playing, although others may think of it as an orchestral mouthpiece. This whole business of mouthpiece choice is more personal than horn choice in my view. At this time I believe Brian Frederickson is offering the AJ on his website, where it is now known as the Warburton Arnold Jacobs. I use one for all but the lightest or F tuba orchestral playing. I have a 30's vintage Helleburg for F tuba or CC tuba in quintet.

But hey, one person's panacea may be another person's paperweight.

Follow Ups: