Re: Fantasy record dates!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on March 25, 2001 at 00:51:37:

In Reply to: Fantasy record dates! posted by Eric Hult on March 24, 2001 at 16:51:05:

There used to be a really busy "jingle mill" here in Memphis owned by gah-zillionaire Bill Tanner and later by Media General. At Tanner Studios, we would produce station I.D.'s for T.V. and radio stations across the country, in addition to college (football and basket- ) ball conference themes, Holiday Inn promotions, etc., etc. Tanner would "barter" these jingles in exchange for advertising time, and then sell the advertising time, ALONG WITH AD PRODUCTION, to businesses (pretty clever, eh?).

The writing staff was very talented, and three of them always liked to include a tuba part for me. In particular, on staff was the old Stan Kenton trombone player/arranger, Dee Barton. He wrote very "fat" for brass, and he liked to "triple stack" stuff for "richness". That was great, because to get three "takes" that he liked, the clock just kept on a-tickin'. I worked there at least once a week doing SOMETHING from around 1975-1983. I was 19 years old in 1975. I miss those sessions and the camaraderie very much, not to mention the good moolah.

Follow Ups: