Re: Re: Re: Tubas in the Movies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mia Culpa! on April 02, 2001 at 01:41:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tubas in the Movies posted by Bob Joles on April 01, 2001 at 11:10:55:

I thought I had the story straight, but much to my own chagrin I got the recording of "the conversation" all wrong. So, one more time with feeling…

Tommy Johnson was first call for the sessions on Close Encounters with John Williams. Jim Self and another tubist were used for tubas 2 and 3 on several sessions. The original version of "the conversation" was recorded almost a year before the scene was shot. After the film editors and Mr. Speilberg tried to match that music cue to the flashing lights it was decided to do another recording session to fix the problem.

When that call went out, Tommy was out of town on vacation and not available to do the recording session for the latest version of "the conversation." Jim was called in with 2 oboe players and a contra bassonist to do the version that is heard in the Close Encounters score.

My sincere apologies for not having the correct story the first time around. I hope this sets things straight for all concerned.

With egg on my face and a song in my heart,

Bob

Follow Ups: