Re: Re: Re: Re: Tubas in the Movies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mia Culpa Again! on April 03, 2001 at 11:21:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tubas in the Movies posted by Mia Culpa! on April 02, 2001 at 01:41:59:

With even more egg on my face (and dribbling down my chest), I now have all the facts about "The Conversation."

Yes, the original version of "The Conversation" was recorded a year before the scene was shot. The part I got wrong was that Jim Self did that original recording because Tommy was out of town on vacation at the time. That's the version you hear in Close Encounters.

The original version of "The Conversation" (Jim's) was made before the film was shot (June 1976) and the film was made to the music. Later (Spring of '77), after the orchestra scoring sessions with Tommy on 1st Tuba, they recorded another version of "The Conversation" with Tommy (using a lot of different music from Mr. Williams), but it would not sync up to the flashing lights on the film. So they decided to use the original version that Jim recorded.

I hope this settles any on going bets, sets the record straight and puts the whole matter to bed once and for all… until the next time!

Bob

Follow Ups: