Re: Re: Re: Re: Enlarging the Throat on Conn Helleberg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 05, 2002 at 19:34:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Enlarging the Throat on Conn Helleberg posted by Doug Elliott on March 05, 2002 at 00:45:49:

Nothing against you at all, Doug!

Two factors determined my reservations towards Doug Yeo's advice:

First of all my wish for at mouthpiece for the small receiver baritones and bassbone was a mouthpiece exactly like the Yeo signature except for the stem and, hence, the backbore. As I understand computerised lathe work, it is based on mathematical formulas for every single curve segment. All joined in a modular way. That made me believe, that it would not be very hard for Yamaha to follow my wish.

The second and minor reason was, that I implicitly had interpreted DG in a way, that I actually believed, that Yamaha had made the signature variants for for DG.

Further comments:

Before the DG signature I used the Schilke 60. It was the largest I ever had tried by then. I liked the potential of the cup very much. By opening the backbore really much and by opening the throat to around 9 mm, I got the sound I wanted on my King 7B bass bone. Full, clear, and quite manageable across the break between the open pedal and the "long-tubing" B natural just above. Really a generic bass trombone sound.

When I bought my YEP 641 I used that modified Schilke 60. I was surprised that there was no trace of trombonism in my euph sound. On the contrary: it was a really huge tenor tuba sound. To adapt it a bit to my surroundings I bought a second Sch 60, which was not modified. But I did not like the leaner sound, so I went back to the modified one.

Yet the Sch 60 had one feature I could not really adapt to: the very round rim. So when I saw a Yeo signature, I bought for myself at once. I have not regretted. The cup is wider and its profile is better. It gives an even fuller sound, even if I have not opened the backbore up as much as on the Schilke.

About the taper of the Taper Pin reamers: You are right! Still I would have like to have them with a Morse taper.

I have not seen your mouthpieces over here. As I read the postings on this board, you are working with modular combinations of rims, cup, stems, and backbores. Are the modules actually combined by means of threaded joints? Or is it the production of one-piece mouthpieces, that is "modular"?

Do you make mouthpieces for horn and truimpets?

Klaus

Follow Ups: