Re: Quintet survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on March 10, 2002 at 15:40:43:

In Reply to: Quintet survey posted by Steven Maxwell on March 09, 2002 at 23:31:23:

Suite from Monteregian Hills by Calvert
Brass Menagerie by Cheetham (also Scherzo is fun)
Frackenpohl Quintet No. 2
Another short fun piece is Dance by Wilke Renwick
ken k

I always am baffled as to why a groups like Canadian Brass or Empire or Epic Brass don't perform at least one piece of this nature on their concerts? Any thoughts? I can understand that they would not want to do an entrie program of these "heavier" works but I think they also sell themselves and the audience a bit short by omitting them altogether.

In our last recital we tried somnething a bit different. Instead of performing the entire Brass Menagerie in one sitting, we split the movements up through out the recital and put other "lighter" pieces in between. We used that piece as our main framework for the recital and hung the other pieces on to it so to speak. It worked very well. It also made it a bit easier on us rather than having to play that entire pice in one sitting. Has anyone else done something like this?

Historically this kind of thing was done quite often. Haydn would often perform his symphonies "in pieces" like this with other selections in between the movements. I really like that approach. I think the audience usually is more receptive to it also, since it breaks up the monotony of one piece and lets the audinece respond and applaud to separate movements.
ken k

Follow Ups: