Re: Re: Intoxicated Tubists Declared Dangerous

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tony on March 24, 2002 at 11:31:52:

In Reply to: Re: Intoxicated Tubists Declared Dangerous posted by Mike on March 24, 2002 at 00:45:57:

I don't really agree with drug testing kids...but athletes are at risk to a more involved drug issue. The pressure for them to perform athleticly can steer kids to taking performence enhancing drugs like steroids. Steroids can't really help you in band. Besides, the percentage of drug users in HS bands is pretty low anyways. Many more people are having their rights taken away than the law will protect. Every band I work with has a policy where you get kicked out if you use drugs during an activity. This is sufficient. Bands are filled with narcs and gossipers, so chances are good that they will get busted.
The real problem is...what or who next? If you allow this stuff to go on, then they will have precedence to go after more groups. Just imagine if they started to drug test teachers. We would lose a lot of teachers...or there will be a lot of teachers going nuts in the classroom. I would quit band before I pissed in a cup for them. I didn't do drugs in high school, and therefore they would have no right to invade my rights like that. Go McCarthyism.

t

Follow Ups: