Re: Intoxicated Tubists Declared Dangerous

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on March 25, 2002 at 11:58:27:

In Reply to: Intoxicated Tubists Declared Dangerous posted by Joe Lowman on March 23, 2002 at 23:38:31:

I have read a variety of comments concerning testing of students involved with extracurricular activities. here are some responses to thos of you who feel that your rights are being violated by being screened.

1. Some of you feel that what you do before or after schoo doesn't affect what you do at school. For you, I have seen too many of my students mess themselves up the night before and not be able to contribute to the group. They are not able to contribute to themselves as an individual by their inability to learn. They stand in the way of others being able to learn. To you, I say get on the train, or get out of the way.

2. For those of you who say that your rights are being stepped on, I say that my rights are being stepped on when I have to deal with those who come to my classroom either messed up from the effects of drugs and alcohol. My rights are being stepped on when I have to deal with a police officer or ambulance worker when I take a messed up student to the hosital on a band trip. My school looses its reputation when its name is posted in the paper in relation to a drug or alcohol case.

3. For those of you who say that it's not right to have to submit to these tests, I would say that a vast majority of these tests are advertised well in advance of the time you have to make the decision to participate in the activity.

4. For those who are involved with the protection of your own rights, I would say that the rights of an individual were never meant to interfere with the rights of the populace.

My school district and I both advocate the removal of individuals with alcohol or drug abuse from the band program. I have the responsibility to safeguard the entire program. This includes removing those who would comit dangerous acts to themselves as well as others, both in and out of the program. My children deserve the same protection and security in their school. If a removed student can demonstrate the removal of the problem, then I am for the return of the student to the program.

For you as adults who posted to this thread, you do have the right to do to yourself what you want, as long as it doesn't hurt others. For those who are not adults, you might feel that you have the same right to do to yourself what you wish. You affect your parents as much as yourself, even in the most undesirable situations. In either situation, no one has the right to abuse others with your actions. As long as I am able I will stand in the way of those who feel that they may do so.

Tom (who teaches a lot of students, arrests a lot of drug dealers and dwi's, and has worked too many deaths due to the abuses) Mason

Follow Ups: