Re: Intoxicated Tubists Declared Dangerous

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on March 25, 2002 at 14:09:33:

In Reply to: Intoxicated Tubists Declared Dangerous posted by Joe Lowman on March 23, 2002 at 23:38:31:

Objections to drug testing of students come from the same flawed assertion as objection to locker and backpack searches: the notion that minor students receiving an education at public expense are entitled to all of the same rights as adults. It is my responsibility to know if my kids use drugs, and I do. But it is the school's responsibility to ensure that they are providing a drug-free environment FOR my kids. If you know of a better way than random drug tests, I'm all ears.

Kids who see their parents get into a snit about testing for illegal drugs are going to be in for a shock when they get into the real world, and find that most employers use mandatory testing when they hire and random tests thereafter, and that employers couldn't care less if employees like it or not.
BTW, perhaps I misunderstood, but someone below seemed to disapprove of fellow students who would inform on drug users in the school. For the record, my hat is off to students who have the courage to tell what they KNOW to be true (I'm not talking about repeating idle rumors, which help no one). Like Joe S., I want the druggies away from my kids.

Joe Baker, who understands that the most compassionate thing you can do for a drug user is bust him.

Follow Ups: