Re: tuba "tuning bits"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on March 26, 2002 at 08:04:25:

In Reply to: tuba "tuning bits" posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 25, 2002 at 18:08:03:

I have been using a tuning bit on an antique tuba of mine that just needed a little extra length to get from high pitch into tune. I found that an Olds bit worked well because of the very large receiver on this tuba. The Conn bits work better on horns with more standard sized receivers. I'm not sure which the Yamaha has, but I think that the Conn would probably work best.

The curve on the bit is not a problem at all. I can see fine when using it. The added benefit of a tuning bit is the flexibilty it allows in the height of your mouthpiece. I would think that a straight bit would put the mouthpiece too far out away from the horn. I also use a tuning bit on my Conn 2XJ.That was designed to be played with a bit and the mouthpiece angle is uncomfortable without one.

Leadpipe length and mouthpiece gap have both been identified as having an impact on intonation, slotting, and response. I haven't noticed any negative impact on any of these using a bit. I can't tell any difference in playing with or without the bit, other than absolute intonation, not relative. That may be because I am an amateur and just can't discern something that's actually there. I would say that if you could borrow a Conn bit somewhere to give it a try. I have an extra that I could send you if you can't find a local source.

Follow Ups: